Pre-Op and Post-Op for Discogram
Pre-Procedure Instructions for Discogram
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight prior to the procedure. You may take your regular medications in the morning with a sip of water.
- If you are taking any anti-inflamatory medications or Coumadin, you must stop taking them 5 days prior to the procedure. Contact your physician if you feel the need to take an alternative medication.
- If you are taking any aspirin or Plavix, please stop taking it 7 days prior to the procedure.
- Do not stop any medication prior to consulting with your physician.
(Please see medication list)
- If you are a diabetic or taking antibiotics, please contact ext. 244.
- Note: You must have someone drive you to your appointment or you will not be able to have the procedure that day. You must be discharged to an adult for your own safety.
Discharge Instructions for Discogram
- Keep the surgical site dry until the dressing is removed. Please remove the dressing from the surgical site between the first 12-24 hours after the procedure has been performed.
- If the surgical site is sore, you may apply an ice pack to that area for 20 minutes every 2 hours for the initial 24 hours. Then you may apply heat using either a hot water bottle or a heating pad as needed.
- Occasionally you may notice a slight increase in your pain after the procedure. This should start to improve within the next 24-48 hours.
- You may continue to take your pain medication as needed.
- DO NOT stop taking any other medication as needed.
- Unless otherwise instructed, you may continue with your normal activities once you leave the Center. However, in general, you should avoid any prolonged standing, walking or repeated bending or use of your upper extremities for 24-48 hours.
- If you are currently going to physical therapy, continue to do so unless your doctor instructs you not to.
- If you develop any other symptoms, such as fever, rash, severe headaches or weakness of lower extremities, please contact your physician at 631-462-2225 ext 207.
- Please be sure you have scheduled a follow up appointment with your surgeon within one week of your discogram.