LAURENCE E. MERMELSTEIN, M.D.
Dr. Mermelstein is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon with additional Fellowship training and extensive experience in pediatric and adult spinal deformities, sports-related spinal injuries, and degenerative and traumatic conditions of the neck and back. He is recognized as one of the leading experts in managing the care and treatment of the pediatric scoliosis patient and is an active member of the premier Scoliosis Research Society.
As the first surgeon on Long Island to perform the Posterolateral Endoscopic Discectomy procedure, he continues to lead the field in laser surgery and minimally-invasive techniques, which reduce pain and the risk of infection while also making recovery quicker. He has pioneered new intra-operative neurophysiological monitoring procedures to improve surgical safety. His expertise includes complex reconstructive spine surgery, disc arthroplasty (disc replacement), and pediatric scoliosis, and laser surgery. Highly respected in the field of spine, he has lectured extensively at national and international meetings regarding spinal biomechanics and instrumentation.
Dr. Mermelstein’s passion for spine care is reflected in his willingness to share his knowledge and expertise by providing professional seminars and community lectures on spine health.
Dr. Mermelstein’s commitment to give “Back” is evident by his partnering with charitable organizations dedicated to improving the lives of children around the world, donating his time and skills to provide life altering surgery to improve the quality of their lives.
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine,
- Orthopaedic Surgery Resident:
Yale - New Haven Hospital, New Haven CT
- General Surgery Resident:
Yale - New Haven Hospital,
New Haven Connecticut
- Spinal Surgery Fellow:
University of California, Davis, California
Section Chief of Spinal Surgery
Huntington Hospital, Huntington, NY
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- Suffolk County Medical Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Society of Lateral Access Surgeons (SOLAS)
- St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, Smithtown, New York
- Huntington Hospital, Huntington, New York
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, West Islip, New York
- St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, New York
- North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York
- Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, New York